Friday, April 8, 2016

The Great Wall of Wappelville


This little project is a test of multiple materials.

I am making a movement base for some Kings of War Elohi.  Two of them will be placed on either end of this multibase.  In between them, I want to paint a mural.  Finally, I wanted to conduct some experiments with the new Green Stuff World leaf punch!!

A wall and floor vignette was created using the same kind of pink foam that you have seen me use on many other projects.  It is very thin, but quite strong.  Also, it takes paint very well.

Oxide paste and glue were used to adhere the pieces together, and provide texture.  Some plasticard was used on the floor section so that I could super glue the miniatures.  Otherwise, the glue would eat right through the foam!!


The first layer was a mix of a few primers, green and black, followed by a touch of Secret Weapon tan.


These layers were gradually lightened, adding a few different colors in to the mix.  Some had more tan, but other mixes had a little greenish tint.  I did this to keep the wall surface from getting too monotonous. 


The final highlights could not be too bright, because I want my focus to be on the mural... not broken stones.


A few cracks were painted in on the floor and wall, attached to some of the chunks I had carved out with the exacto knife.


Those cracks were given a few highlights.  Again, the focus is on the mural, and there was no point to painting them over that part of the wall!


A little staining was added towards the top of the wall with the very dark Secret Weapon weathering paint.


Here's a sneak peek at what's coming next... the step by step of the mural itself!!!

Stay tuned...


4 comments:

  1. Nothing short of inspirational! Can't wait to see how the mural turns out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks! I think you will enjoy that! :-)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks! Definitely a cost effective method :-)

      Delete