Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Big 'n Nasty


OK folks, here's something rather giant for you.  This is the Thanatar Siege Automata.

The picture below gives you some idea of the size of this thing.  The Castellax standing next to the legs is Dreadnought sized... on a 60mm base.


I knew I was in for a treat when most of the on line searches for how to assemble this ended (or began) with "Good luck".


I won't horrify you with my screams of delight as I assembled the legs and arms prior to painting.  I am sure I created all new words.  A language of vulgarity at new heights of creativity :-)


These types of ball joints can be very deceptive, in that you think it offers you loads of ways to position the arms.  I learned from the smaller Castellax that this was definitely not the case.


The massive torso.


Topped with a massive gun.


Figuring out how to get these pieces together and mounted on the base was not something I had looked forward to doing.


It took at least an hour just to get this far.  Right now the torso is sitting on the pin, which is stuck into the leg assembly.


I actually used the gun as additional weight to keep the feet stuck to the base as the glue dried.


I tried to position the arms in an interesting way, but this is where I was reminded about the restrictive way the joints work.

The final challenge is to get those ammo feeds to fit.  I don't even know if that will be possible right now, but I need to let all this set for quite a while.

With the Castellax, I had to nearly melt the ammo feeds with a hair dryer to get them into position.

I am sure that will be required here.  To make it more difficult, there are two ammo feeds stuck together.  I predict more interesting words to describe the heritage and genealogy of whoever created that particular idea.

Wish me luck!!!


11 comments:

  1. That is a seriously impressive model and a lovely paintjob.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly an impressive and good looking model, with a great painjob that really makes it stand out and does it justice. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I can't wait to take the finished shots! :-)

      Delete
  3. Was looking forward to the day you started putting this guy together and getting paint on him! Though I think your work is effective at all scales, it really seems to shine when it gets upsized, all that shading and lovely variance in color tone just explodes on the model.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny you should say that, because I have had numerous conversations lately about how much I love painting giant things such as this :-)

      Delete
    2. Now that I know how you work your shaded base coat, I can see why. Your entire process is painterly, so working larger just allows more expression of the stroke on the model. More angles to move the wrist/arm/fingers. All translates to more fun!

      Delete
    3. Yes, I used to work with much larger brushes in my days as a 2D painter, so this only made sense! You have already seen the Shaded Basecoat version of the painting of the dog :-)

      Delete
  4. Great painting job. Truly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your red. How do you do it?

    ReplyDelete