Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Kurganova takes a Gold!


I was not aware that there was a painting contest at Reapercon, so I didn't bring any Reaper pieces with me that would not be part of my demos.
I did, however, have a few spare Raging Heroes minis along, including one of my Kruganova sisters.  

Some of you will remember her leading the Imperial Guard contingent of my Adepticon tournament army.  I was assured that it was OK to enter her, even though I assumed it would only waste their display space :-)

This contest works quite differently than any other I have seen, and it took quite a bit of explanation to get me to understand.  In fact, as it was being explained during the awards ceremony, I heard my name called.  

Much to my surprise, one of these very nifty gold medallions was issued for Kommisar Karinna, as I called her.  She is, of course, from Raging Heroes!


Less than three weeks had passed since she went head to toe with a Tau Riptide in solo combat.  Now, she fought a new kind of campaign!


Just like cookies, Babo claims all trophies and shiny things as his own.


Something tasty from the bar across the parking lot.  Still getting used to objects such as the Sun... and temps above 50 degrees.


On Monday, it was off to the Reaper factory.


Derek is hard at work behind the forest of lights.


I grabbed some more Bones minis, and created a few bases for them.  More on the painting over the next few days.


This is the reaction of most of the students when the Shaded Basecoat class began.  It's why I had to chain them to their seats when they first came in.


12 comments:

  1. Well deserved win, superb looking figure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! She certainly proved to be very tough in a fight!

      Delete
  2. That is one of the nicest raging hero mini's I've seen. Well done and well deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats!
    ReaperCon was something I always wanted to attend. Do they still do tours of the casting facility and have the Boneyard set up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they do on both counts. The con is now held offsite at a nearby hotel as it has outgrown the factory but they run shuttles to the factory for tours and had the boneyard as well as a big retail set up at the hotel.

      Delete
  4. "This contest works quite differently than any other I have seen"

    So... what were the rules?

    Beatifull mini BTW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is very hard to explain without being there. It took me 3 days to really figure it out...

      Delete
    2. In a nutshell, you are not judged against others, only against yourself. That is, it's considered an "open" contest where you can be awarded various levels of recognition based upon where the judges think your work falls.

      There are more traditional awards as well - the Golden Sophies for best overall in each category, Best in Show, manufacturer sponsored awards like "Best Dark Sword Mini In Show", etc.

      Full details on this years con and the contest rules are available at www.reapercon.com

      Delete
  5. Worthy of note for those interested in Reapercon - the photos of the artists seem to be from a previous year, looking at the banner probably 2011, when the con was still at the Reaper factory. This year was quite a bigger production.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These photos are definitely from this year, since I was there, :-) The banner is from 2011, and still hangs in that area.

      Delete