Saturday, August 17, 2013

A warped perspective...


Much to my horror a while back, I realized that the warp gate that I wanted to use for that terrain video had GW bits plastered all over it.  That meant constructing a whole new terrain piece. :-(  Very sad for me, since that turned out to be many hours lost.

At least I got to show of my ancient veteran welder's glove!  Safety first...


Since most of you probably don't have a $200+ mat cutting machine as part of your hobby equipment, I created a cutting rig that should be easy for anyone to make for themselves pretty easily.


Goin' 'round in circles... so it seemed.


The new warp gate with power generator towers that are NOT made by a certain cranky miniatures company.


Conduits everywhere! Gotta spread that juice around.


Ready for painting!


8 comments:

  1. James,

    I was wondering why you couldn't use GW minis/bits in your videos? I see lots of bloggers avoiding GW parts in their videos despite the fact that the majority of the stuff the appear to paint is GW. Isn't using a part of plastic model kit in a painting video fair use? I've been wondering this for a while.

    -john

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Given what I have seen GW do to people who include their imagery on other things (even when they are not trying to make any $$$), I could not take the chance. Also, with all the other companies rapidly catching up or even surpassing GW, there are more opportunities.

      For example, instead of a 'How to paint Blood Angels', it became a how to paint red in general, which would have wider appeal and use...

      Delete
  2. This is beautiful. Your work always blows me away.

    I'm definitely curious to see the answer to John's question as well. GW is my favorite bits company right now, though I'm not aware of issues with using them that way in the public space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There may be none at all, but I would hate to get C & D letters just when everything goes 'public'...

      Delete
    2. Well, you're right on the money. It seems you cannot use their IP in "any commercial activity." I have to wonder about the use of their miniatures in gaming guides, etc... now.

      "- Use Games Workshop's intellectual property in relation to any commercial activity ­ this includes, for example, paying a printer to print some flyers for you, obtaining sponsorship, or selling non-Games Workshop materials using our trademarks."

      http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?pIndex=3&aId=3900002&start=4

      Delete
  3. Okay, to get back to your article: How the heck did you use your cutting rig? I'd love to be able to cut larger circles like that, and am not seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The circle was cut by hand. The rig is only for straight cuts. :-) I just drew out the circle, then held the knife at a right angle to the foam board, and used a sawing motion to slowly cut around the line...

      Delete