Saturday, June 8, 2013

Tanks for the Memories: Unboxing something very special from Secret Weapon Miniatures!



Who doesn't love tanks?  I know I do... and I am sure all of you as well.

What don't we love?  Tanks that require us to sell body parts to afford them, or are like a brick to the face to assemble!

When I first saw these on the Secret Weapon site, I thought I had found a solution :-)  And I did.

This is a resin/metal kit.  All the parts are shown here, right out of the bag.  I was already very excited, and I was more and more pleased as I started to work my way through the parts.

First, as you can see, there are not ten bazillion little parts.  This is it!  That means a whole lot less scraping, filing, washing, etc.  Also, there were no warped parts.  No scalding myself trying to bend things back into shape, or dropping said tiny parts down the drain (yes, it has happened).


As I tried to dry fit the parts together, I heard this alien "clicking" sound.  No that was not a fragile or miscast, hollowed out parts breaking :-)  It was parts clicking into place!  Very cool.


So much so, that these pieces stayed in place with no blue tac or anything.


This is another helpful way your tank costs are reduced.  As you can see, there is a huge array of weaponry here.  Just about anything an I.G. player could need.


You have hull mounted weapons, plus seven more primary weapons that can be changed out as needed.  I know you can convert Chimeras, Russes, etc. to possibly do the same, but this is how you start out, which is yet another time saver.


The hull mounted weapons...


They fit it perfectly, with no magnets needed.


From a visual standpoint, what I enjoy most about these vehicles is the turret.  I LOVE the bigger turret.  When you have it at an angle such as this, it looks so much cooler than the tiny turrets of the usual I.G. tanks.

Speaking of which, this scales out to a Chimera, for those who are curious.  I will do a size comparison shot to illustrate this.


My next post will show how this was assembled and prepared for painting.  Speaking of painting, this wonderful vehicle will now be used for the "Weathering and Battle Damage video"!  I cannot thank Justin and the folks at Secret Weapon enough for allowing me to use these.


2 comments:

  1. Maybe even a marine predator or razorback?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty much all of the above. I am doing some conversion work on one right now...

      Delete