Saturday, June 8, 2013

Assembling your RAV 6 x 6 from Secret Weapon Miniatures



The last unboxing post showed you just how nicely produced the RAV 6 x 6 is.  In this post, I will show you how I assembled it.  There were very few mould lines to file down.  The gates and vents were also very much under control.

The most stuff that had to be removed was on the back of the wheels.  You don't see much of this part, but I wanted to make sure they were all gone.
  
I don't use a Dremel, as I prefer the feel and control of carving tools.  In this case, I was using one of my wood carving tools.  It is rounded, as you can see, which was perfect to preserve that inverse curve of the wheel.


Clearing away the last of it...


With the top and bottom halves glued together, it was time to glue the side pieces in place.  These snap into place very easily!


No worries about warped parts here, or gaps!


Getting the other side ready to glue together.


With that done, it was time to focus on the turret.  It fit very nicely in place, so I didn't have to do anything to make it steady, even with the weight of the metal turret weapon.  You can see that I put a pin into each weapon, so that it would remain steady.


I also put pins in the axle sections of each wheel, so that I could mount them on dowel rods for painting.


The underside of the vehicle has some nice details, but they are not too crazy to paint.  You won't have to struggle to get the brush into tough places here!


Some features that I was glad to see excluded on this kit were air bubbles and giant gates!  Notice the lack of green stuff!!


Looks like some autocannons are ready for action!!!  I love how this larger turret looks when it is turned at an angle.


This is the weapon that gave me the idea to try and make a Leman Russ conversion.  That is being worked on right now.


Everything primed and ready to go!!


This vehicle was very easy to assemble, as you have seen.  A stark contrast to so many other vehicles I have had to deal with.  As far as resin vehicle kits are concerned, it is vastly superior to a certain other company :-)  None of the crazy miscast issues to worry about.



4 comments:

  1. Looking good James bit surprised you didn't start from a base of shaded grey already considering you'll be glazing and weathering down so much is there a reason?

    That kit looks nice, if you get a chance for a side by side with a chimera or Leman Russ I'd be over the moon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The light kinda killed the effect, but I actually mixed brown paint in with the primer, giving it a whole different feel. Also, the plan is to leave some of that brown/black color show through in places, simulating the paint being scraped away...

      Delete
  2. Hola
    GRACIAS por los consejos y el pap
    un saludo

    ReplyDelete