Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Lighting a candle for you...



Here's something fun for you.  It's a little exercise in making candles for your base.

I started out with a typical cork and sculpey base, but I wanted to make some candles to snazz it up.  I took some polystyrene tubing, and glued that to the sculpey.  An even thinner tube was placed on the tips for wicks.


To create the effect of melted wax, I used some liquid green stuff.  You could also use flex paste or even wood glue as a substitute.


I added a flame with a bit of regular green stuff...


Time to paint!  The image on the right shows the Vallejo Fluorescents in action.


This stage shows the marble tiles being painted, and some more shading on the candles.


The base is just about ready for some darker glazes!


Once the darker shading was complete, I added some orange highlights.  Now it's all ready for a miniature!!


Here's a video that I created for the Rivet Wars kickstarter:



6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! I have done this on a few figures, and it's always fun!

      Delete
  2. Hi, do u bake the sculpty first before putting on cork or do u bake it witg cork?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bake the sculpey on its own. The cork would probably catch fire :-)

      Delete
  3. OK thaanks!your bases are inspiring

    ReplyDelete