Monday, November 26, 2012

Never toss a dwarf: Getting started with Stone Haven dwarves


Here is something that came in the other day.  For those of you familiar with the very successful kickstarter program of Stone Haven Miniatures, you have already seen a lot of this neat artwork!

I was lucky to be approached to paint a set of these for their display.  I just got the figures the other day.

I was impressed by the quality of the casts.  The mould lines were very much under control, and as you can see from the images, there was an attempt made to keep as many of the figures as possible to one piece casts.  After dealing with so many crazy anomalies with various resin figures, it was nice to get back to some solid pewter!!


I think it is the unique nature of this set that made it such a huge hit.  Yes, many of the usual dwarf archetypes are featured, but I enjoyed the ones that you just never see!


The female characters are very interesting, and I liked the sculpts.  It is not easy to make a female dwarf, for obvious reasons.  They did a nice job here.  I think they will be lots of fun to paint, and you will see all that play out here on the blog!


I don't have the kickstarter site up right now, but I believe they had some interesting extras, such as T-shirts and dice.  Great care was taken in producing the minis and the cards, so this project was very worthy of it's wide appeal!


I am going to be creating unique, character themed bases for each figure, but for those of you who will see these in your mailbox, don't feel like you need to do that.  :-)

OK!  Now I need to go and shoot pictures of the finished Raging Heroes Vestal!!


Stay tuned...

6 comments:

  1. I am really looking forward to my set arriving. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really an RPG player's dream with so many different characters!

      Delete
  2. I'm really excited to paint my set. I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to make sure to see those when you are done!

      Delete