Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Custom made Sci-fi bases

We probably get more questions about how we do our bases than anything else.  I enjoy creating bases and painting them as much, if not more, than working on the miniatures themselves.

Typically I create marble style bases that allow me to quickly create a theme for a specific army via the color of the marble and its freehand/markings.  The flat surface also makes it very easy to put almost any kind of miniature on it.  That is a common flaw of most base designs.  Can't get a miniature on it.  I see it over and over and over again.

They look fantastic, but there is almost no way to get any sort of  mini on them!  In our basing seminars at Adepticon, we would hear numerous horror stories from folks who were just in the dealer's room purchasing a set of 5-10 bases, only to discover that they could only use half of them, or even less!

This was a set of sci fi bases I made for myself years ago.  I can't count how many I have done since.  But, this should provide and very good illustration of what I mean.  I used sculpey, plasticard, random bits, straws, polystyrene tubes, you name it!

Here you go:
Photobucket

Photobucket

These Infinity minis show the bases in use:
Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment