Sunday, February 5, 2012

The Challenge of painting Miniatures in Anime style

I recently painted these figures for Coolminiornot.com.  The line is called Soda Pop for those who are not familiar with it.  All of the miniatures are sculpted in Anime style, which presents several challenges for painting.

It is even more of a departure from the norm these days given all the hyper-weathering and muted colors which seem to be required on all minis.  As a result of this kind of sculpting, you have very large expanses of open areas which are painted in flat, smooth, bright colors.  The hair on the two large creatures is a good example.

I was instructed not to create any hair textures as I painted it, which is something I normally would have done.  All the colors had to be high chroma.  Now for the images:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

While I was painting these, I was working on some Confrontation minis using the more current style of weathering and lower chroma palette.  That made my life much less fun! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment